Thursday, April 10, 2014

[STAP Cell] Ms.Obogata's apology and objection

Ms. Obogata appeared in front of journalists to against the result of the board of investigation in RIKEN.  

First of all, she apologized about her paper. "I deeply apologize for the inconvenience to RIKEN, my co-authors and everyone because I rise many suspicions from my carelessness, lack of industriousness, immaturity."
She bowed deeply.
She also said, she couldn't show up in front of people for a while because RIKEN didn't let her do that. But she believes STAP phenomenon is useful for someone someday so she has continued to research.

Her comments:

"From the perspective of many researchers, I think it is a huge mistake but it does not affect the conclusions of the research results of the paper by this mistake. The experiments surely have been conducted and the data is also present. I would like you to understand that I never finished the paper maliciously."
She gave way to tears.

"If I had presented a chart correctly in the first place, there is no need for investigation committee. I would like to thank and apologize sincerely to the investigation committee members for taking the time."

 "However, the result of the investigation, it have been determined to be illegal without a good understanding of the facts. If I get a enough opportunity for the excuse and description, you shall be able to understand the background of mistake. That is why I am here today with my lawyer."

"STAP phenomenon is the truth that has been confirmed many times." 
She said, she made STAP cell over 200 times.
There were 2 unjustified things from RIKEN's investigation.

3. One of the photo of gene analysis is cut-and-paste? >> Unjustified: falsification
6. Did Ms. Obogata divert the photo from her doctor's thesis? >> Unjustified: fabricated

RIKEN defines fabrication, falsification and plagiarism as research fraud. 

Fabrication is to build up the experimental data and result.
Falsification is to change or omit the date.
Plagiarism is to divert the sentences of others without acknowledgment.

However, RIKEN has not included the honest errors as research fraud. 

Ms. Obogata said, she did the 2 things but they were the honest errors. So she can not accept the result of the investigation.


I don't know why I just want to believe her because if she really did the falsification or fabrication, she will never show up and apologize in front of people like this. She just want us to understand that there is a STAP cells.

This is not only her problem. I think RIKEN has a big responsibility. We don't know she can join a reproductive experiment. I hope we can know there is a STAP cell or not as soon as possible.

Hang on, Obogata-san!

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment